Saturday, December 31, 2011

Introduction and Plans for Orange January (Jenny)

Hi everyone! My name is Jenny and I have a blog called Reading Envy.  I enjoy nothing more than trying to read every book on a list - I annually read the nominees for the Booker, the National Book Award, the Hugo, and the Nebula, and have tried a few others here and there.  I thought it was only fitting that I started out my activity here by saying hello and posting a list!  This is a list of the books I plan to read in January 2012 for the challenge.

The first four are serving cross-purposes, as I'm also involved in a year-long Around the World reading challenge.  When I compared the lists, many were on the Orange Prize lists, so it was easy to put those first in line.  The other books I will list are books that qualify that are sitting around at home, just begging to be read.  Maybe this will help me knock off a few books from my to-read shelf!
  • The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
  • Frangipani by Celestine Hitiura Vaite
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka
  • Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
  • Brick Lane by Monica Ali
  • American Life by Curtis Sittenfeld
  • Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson
This might be too ambitious, but that's how I'm going to start out!

As I went through the lists, I discovered that I have actually read quite a few of the Orange Prize nominees in the past few years.  Without hesitation I can say the favorite that I've read is The Powerbook by Jeanette Winterson, and you can see the others here.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I hope you enjoy your reading! You're off to a good start with Orange January. Loved Case Histories too!