Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Megan's Intro and Progress

Hello, everybody. I'm Megan and I blog at Leafing Through Life. I was so excited to see an Orange Prize Project considering when I first discovered the prize I considered trying to read as many of the winners and short list titles that I could on my own, so it's great to be able to try and accomplish that in community! I've read several already - unfortunately before I started my blog and started to review books seriously, so I haven't got many reviews of the ones I've already finished - but I look forward to reviewing my future Orange Prize reads and sharing them here.

Here are the ones I've read so far (in bold) as well as the ones that I've already got on my shelves (in italics) which will be the ones most likely to be read soonest.

2007

Longlist

Ten Days in the Hills by Jane Smiley

2006

New Writers

Disobedience by Naomi Alderman (Winner)

Shortlist

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

Longlist

The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

2005

New Writers

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Shortlist

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Winner)
The Mammoth Cheese by Sheri Holman

Longlist

The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates
Ursula, Under by Ingrid Hill

2004

Shortlist

Small Island by Andrea Levy (Winner)
The Colour by Rose Tremain

Longlist

Brick Lane by Monica Ali
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Love by Toni Morrison
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

2003

Shortlist

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

Longlist

The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel
When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

2002

Shortlist

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Winner)
Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Longlist

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

2001

Shortlist

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley

Longlist

The Hiding Place by Trezza Azzopardi
Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund

2000

Shortlist

Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout

Longlist

Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

1999

Shortlist

The Short History of a Prince by Jane Hamilton
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Paradise by Toni Morrison

Longlist

The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox

1998

Shortlist

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett
The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve

Longlist

Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen

1997

Shortlist

Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
Accordion Crimes by E. Annie Proulx
I Was Amelia Earhart by Jane Mendelsohn

Longlist

Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

1996

Shortlist

The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Welcome to the group, Megan! Looks like you have a good start on this challenge...and many on your shelves! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them as you move forward :)

Marg said...

Welcome Megan!